This house was
built by Samuel Curtis, a seafaring man, in 1774. When we Mathers (Joshua and his parents Barbara and Mort) first walked into
the house in our quest for a site for our restaurant, we immediately recognized it as the perfect place for our needs. The
small room that was called the birthing room in colonial days would be a perfect reception
area. The parlor would make a cozy bar. The original “ keeping room”, where meals were prepared over the big open
hearth in colonial times, would be one dining room. The house's dining room would be another.
The house was
a private home prior to our purchase March 31, 2004.
|May 31, 2004
To best accommodate our needs and those of our customers, we removed an attached
ell and small seasonal porch, and replaced it with year round porch dining, bathrooms, and a commercial kitchen, all handicapped-accessible.
We opened quietly July 8, 2004. In a new restaurant even experienced staff needs to learn where everything is and there
was the worry we might have forgotten something. We just put out our sign and changed a small ad in the York County Coast
Star from "Opening Soon" to "Open". The first customers were friends (we have lived in Wells since 1972),
fans of Josh's cooking from other restaurants and people who had been driving by and were interested in what we were doing
with this historic old house.
The host stand and the bar were built by master craftsman Jason Brethauer.
Jason fashioned the front of the host stand (pictured here) and of the bar from wide pine flooring salvaged from the old kitchen.
The bird’s-eye maple tops are beautiful.